Open the Door
Learn the Local Language. Open the Door!
Language is the door to the local culture!
Do not lose in translation what you can learn from local culture!
Place your food order in the local language and watch their happy faces. You make new friends!
Ask for directions and get an answer you do not understand. You will be motivated to know how to ask and understand next time! J
Openmind Projects Tips to turn into a ‘Local’
1. I want to learn! Need to feel and understand why you need to, want to! Your volunteer trip will be so different from an overseas holiday when you make the effort to learn!
2. There are Apps to learn a new language a click away. Books can be useful, but can you hear the sound of new word? technology provides interactive, fun and engaging learning. Go online, search for language learning apps check Memrise, Fluencia, Duolingo or Anki.
3. Build vocab. With time, you get the basic grammar. Remember it is about communication, not writing a Shakespeare drama!
4. Whenever you learn a new word, remember it, write it down, and use it. Learn and apply, we call it Learning by Doing. Watch our way to help young people Learn English in Role Plays
5. Practicing is learning by doing, talking, listening and writing the new language as often as possible. Use all senses, like in a role-play. Make local friends, watch local television, and talk to your self too, practice, and repeat what you talked about during the day!
6. Travel and teach your language, meet people, learn their language and practice your skills. Locals love it when you try speaking their language never mind not perfect, breaking the ice!
7. Whatever you do, do not start with a grammar book!
8. Do not be shy, have confidence in yourself and start speaking!
9. Your keys to the doors: Motivation and confidence!
10. Come to our Training, welcome!